Tilapia that was bought from a Bellevue supermarket is the likely source of a woman’s rare, life-threatening bacterial infection, according to health officials.
The woman was diagnosed with Vibrio vulnificus on Nov. 10, according to Public Health officials. The infection can cause symptoms ranging from vomiting and diarrhea to flesh-eating skin wounds. Health officials suspect the woman was infected after cutting her finger while preparing the Tilapia. The woman had bought the fish from a food center in Bellevue. The woman was likely infected after cutting her finger while preparing the fish.
According to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Vibriosis causes an estimated 80,000 illnesses and 100 deaths in the United States every year. People with vibriosis become infected by consuming raw or undercooked seafood or exposing a wound to seawater.
There is an investigation in process to determine the source of contaminated food according to Public Health officials. They also advice that any fish bought from the market in Bellevue before Nov. 17th should be disposed.
If you suspect that you or a loved one are experiencing symptoms of Vibrio Vulnificus, please seek immediate medical attention.
Protecting the Rights of the Seriously Injured Since 1994
Se Habla Español
Enter Your Email Address